Obviously that was not our goal when we started out, but we’re happy with the progress we’ve made and here’s a few of our favorite posts to celebrate how far we’ve come!
📖 📖 📖 📖 📖 📖 📖 📖 📖
1. Review of City Stained Red by Sam Sykes: It took a Herculean effort not to write *squeal* and add extra letterrrrrs in sheer giddiness because I have a big crush on Sam and it had to be contained for the review. Nailed it!
2. 6 Sci-fi/Fantasy Short Fiction Authors to Watch: At the time I didn’t think it would be a big deal to post a list of people I thought were great writers, but this post went viral (in the 80 Books universe) and I was pleasantly surprised by the attention it got. Another similar post next year?
3. Calling out Tor, Pratchett Haters, and Hugo BS: We decided we would write commentary on the industry as part of our weekly bookish content. In a few of the Hot Air pieces, we got some feedback and I’m pretty sure I’m on a watch list for baby dogs.
📖 📖 📖 📖 📖 📖 📖 📖 📖
- April Fool’s Day: I loved everything about the silliness of that day. You know it was a success when even your closest friends actually thought you were changing your editorial direction. The hilarity! But, the Fabio post, if I may be so modest, is still one of my favorite things. The covers are so ridiculous that the comedy pretty much wrote itself. I couldn’t pass up a chance to poke a little fun at my favorite genre.
- Hot Air Posts: I didn’t want to choose just one of my soapbox posts. There were so many moments of popping off on the crap happening in publishing. From problematic heroes, to calling myself out on reading more inclusively. Or calling someone else out on their BS. All this resistance must mean change is happening.
- Review of Dutch by Madhuri Blaylock: And not only because Madhuri is made of awesome sauce, but GOD! this book gave me my whole life! Smutty, magical goodness. I can’t wait for her new and improved version. Dutch + Juma 4EVA!!