We’ve come a long way in a year. Expanded our content. Taken on guest reviewers. But, it’s nice to see that we’ve maintained the guidelines we set for ourselves in the beginning. We wonder what the next year will hold… If you’re interested in getting involved with our website, please drop us a line or say hello on social media!
As a follow-up to our concerns about assault via wine bottle, the author in question plead guilty to the charges. So, um, be cool.
Btw, there’s another giveaway happening right now. And who doesn’t love free books??
The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page
I’m sure St. Augustine was a brilliant man, worthy of his sainthood and a city in Florida bearing his name (can you tell we don’t know much about him?), but we can’t all afford jaunts across the globe. He might’ve been on to something with this book analogy, though. What if you could see the world, experience different cultures, all while cuddled in bed with tea and your cat (Or dog. Some of us are dog people)?
With that being said—welcome to Around the World in 80 Books! For us, it’s about more than just reading good books. We want to share with you the stories we love that are about this weird world we live in.
We have a few ground rules, guidelines, general expectations for what you’ll find here at 80 Books:
- Dear Authors, it’s nothing personal if we don’t like your book. Please do not come find us, stalk us and/or hit us over the head with wine bottles! Besides, wine is for drinking.
- We love wine.
- Don’t try to bribe us with wine; we’re not that easy.
- We’re open to suggestions for books to review.
- We love diverse books. Give us your LGBQT heroes and heroines. Kick ass main characters with disabilities. PoCs who are more than just sidekicks and comic relief. We’re here for it.
- Travel includes time and space. TARDIS and/or standing stones optional.
- Indie books and authors welcomed.
- We’re so not the New York Times or Kirkus. Expect snark and humor in our reviews. And possible fangirling (We’re looking at you, Jamie Fraser).
- Fictional locations totally count. I mean, hello! Lucky Harbor!
- Despite our name, we’re voracious readers and 80 books should not be taken literally.
About this awesome duo:
Heather is an unconfirmed book hoarder. She reads fantasy, sci-fi, romance, women’s fiction, literary fiction (occasionally), and basically wants to read every piece of written literature that exists (kinda impossible). She will sometimes have dreams about zombies, she will always read books about zombies, her favorite book is Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. She’s totally not obsess–OK fine, she is…
Tqwana is best known for having a name that defies numerous rules of the English language. She has a book collection that spans three states and several e-readers and is always looking for more. Her favorites are urban fantasy, romantic suspense, historical romance, and books that refuse to fit into one genre (fight the power!). To maintain her street cred, she’ll read the occasional lit fic or narrative nonfiction.
With that out of the way, we’ll get to reading and reviewing!
P.S. We like talking to people. We’re on Facebook, Twitter, and Tumblr. Or you could leave a comment below. Or email us at email@example.com. Or, you know, whatever you’re comfortable with. No pressure or anything…